Monday, May 26, 2014

The Rocky Horror Texas Peepshow

I have a confession: I am a Rocky Horror Picture Show virgin. I've seen the movie, but by that time, everybody around me had already gone to a show or had no interest in going. Thus it was a little strange to stage kitten for a Rocky Horror-themed production. Doing the show doesn't count apparently.

Spyke Styletto bestowed a pearl
necklace upon me and a veil upon Kitty.
Photo by Cher Musico/Roots
The Texas Burlesque Peepshow put on its first production, "Oh, Rocky", two months ago. I was still trying to recover from All-con, but I wanted to help out. Lily LeCroix supplied a clipboard with notes for Kitty Martini and me, which kept me from completely stressing out. I was feeling off my game and had nearly lost it when I discovered that I put the wrong contacts case (the empty one) in my bag.

Due to Dallas' two shadowcasts being invited, "Oh, Rocky" had an unusually large number of people backstage. They took care of themselves, but it was a little different. It was different but fun, as I enjoyed getting a taste of the Rocky experience and the shadowcast members enjoyed the new setting. And everybody enjoyed the presence of Mr. Gorgeous. Never have I seen so many heads turn when a person walked by, but at a fit 6'5" plus heels, he strikes an impressive figure. He's also really nice and assuaged any concerns we had about setting up the rigging for his aerial routine. Kitty and I did have to work around the height issue, but the cables were lowered just enough to where I could reach them.


The show had begun on a somber note with Black Mariah explaining the situation with Lola LaRue. Whether they knew her or not, everybody in the cast and crew wanted to help her. That was really heart-warming to experience, and I think that created a positive energy that propelled the show forward.  Everybody wanted to do their best for Lola, and I was really happy to be part of such a supportive community.

To put things into perspective,
I'm 5'1" plus 3" heels.
While Kitty and I were running around, I made a mental note to make sure my shoes for the after-party were super comfy any time I did a show at the Texas Theatre. I had opted for a goth look and wore my three-inch platform boots, which are usually comfy.  After climbing lots of stairs in heels, that was no longer the case.  Lesson learned.

"Oh, Rocky" was a HUGE success. Never have I heard a crowd that cheer that loudly at a burlesque show; I felt like I was going to go deaf by the end of the show. After hanging around a little bit to talk to people and try to not be awkward, I decided that it was best to avoid the shuffle out of the dressing room and head out to the after-party, where The Companion and I wound up eating pizza with La Divina and Diamond Jim first and then with some of the "Oh, Rocky!" cast.  I was suddenly glad I ran up and down those stairs.  I didn't take too many photos, but you can see a couple more on my facebook page.

Also, don't forget to reserve your tickets for the Texas Burlesque Peepshow's next production, Spectacular Burlesque!: a Tribute to Moulin Rouge. I am fan dancing with the producers and my classmates from the Dallas School of Burlesque.  You don't want to miss this show!

No comments:

Post a Comment