Tuesday, May 17, 2022

A Glittery Unicorn Gone

Life is short.  It's a cliché thing to say, but I've lost enough friends to know that it's true.  I recently was reminded of this, as I got the unexpected, heart-breaking news that another wonderful burlesque has left us too soon.

I met Bre von Buxom early in my burlesque career.  She came to Dallas from Texarkana with Puss Powerbottom and Spyke Styletto, who was performing in Texas Burlesque Peepshow's first-ever show, Oh Rocky.  I was stage kittening and happened to share a dressing room with them.  Bre was Spyke's burlesque mom, and I remember her giving advice on pasties and backstage jitters.  She also helped some of my peers get a taste of performing out-of-town with her show in Texarkana.  I wasn't able travel back then, but I appreciated that she made a space for us newbies. 

I don't have any pictures of us together, but I'm happy she came out for Texas Burlesque Peepshow's Spectacular Burlesque! which I was in.  We had some good times at the after-party too.

 Although I never got to see her perform, she was a familiar face at shows in Dallas, and she also supported the Arkansas scene.  I never felt awkward when she was around.  On top of being caring and fun-loving, Bre was unapologetically queer, sex-positive, and nerdy.

I hadn't seen in a while, and her death is such a shock to all of us.  We'll never forget her lively spirit, and I hope she's having a blast, dancing away, wherever she is now.

Photo by Stand Up Photography


No comments:

Post a Comment